My Janitor/babysitting job on Catalina

My interest in wanting to get into boating and yachts led me to accept a position on Catalins's Fourth of July Yacht Club as a maintence/janitor/babysitter on summer. This is exactly what I had in mind after my Wall Street Banking days and Hollywood music days. My days were as so:

6am..breakfast. 7am, cleaning toilets.
7-12ish, moving stuff, cleaning cabins.
Lunch until 4...clearing branches, fire regulations.
...then my run around the mountains, swim or bike ride.

Weekends, toilets and watching the kids as the watch a movie. Yacht people and their kids can be a bit much.

Island life.
Ever go a day without seeing a person? Ever talking to a single soul?
No traffic, no internet, no cellphone reception, no cars, no malls, no McDonalds..a lot of no's.
A definate experience for me. More importantly, gaining a true appreciation of what I have and what i don't.

Comments